Tuesday 12 June 2012

God knows.

Today I bundled my boys into the double buggy (as the only way to keep them both dry from the rain!) and walked to our local supermarket to stock up on a few items.

The trip was uneventful, in the sense of no crying, tantrums or meltdowns (from me or them!) but as we reached the checkout I was aware that lunch time was looming and they were getting tired.

There followed the usual checkout routine of trying to keep them both happy, dishing out snacks and drinks, letting my eldest help load things onto the checkout belt, letting my youngest hold items that he couldn't open and generally trying to pack everything into the buggy as quickly as possible to make a quick exit.

Just as we were about to leave, the lady in the queue behind me tapped me on the arm and told me: "I think you're doing wonderfully."

At a time when I am struggling with a tenacious one year old who seems to be practicing for a career as a mountaineer, and a two year old who has read and digested every last sentence in the 'Terrible Twos Handbook' I do not often feel at the moment that I am doing wonderfully.

When I told my hubby, he suggested that maybe she had been an angel. Angel or not, it was a lovely reminder that God knows my needs and wants to meet them in unexpected ways.

4 comments:

  1. Rachel, that's beautiful. Your job is the most important in the world. It is also the hardest and there are so many days when you just don't feel that you are doing a wonderful job at all or are barely scraping through but in God's eyes your job is like gold! I think Dave was right. I really enjoy your posts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fi, I love the idea that angels might be sent to speak exactly the words we need to hear at particular times. It also made me want to be less 'British' and actually tell strangers nice things sometimes! Xx

      Delete
  2. Brilliant, I had a very similar experience when mine were younger My neighbour stopped me to tell me she hears me chattign to the kids and how wonderful I am. Not how I would have described myself at all. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so lovely that you still remember that even now. Probably a nice reminder still on the tougher days!

    ReplyDelete