Saturday 8 October 2011

It was only 10 pence...


Today we met a man. He was standing outside our local shop carrying a six-pack of lager, looking unkempt and unshaven. This man taught me a lesson which Jesus also taught his followers:

'whatever you do for the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you also do for me.' (Matthew 25 v 40)

So often the emphasis of this verse is on what we are doing for others. I guess a lovely story would be about how I was able to help this man out in some way, then go on my way feeling good about myself, reminding myself 'I did it for Jesus'. Instead, I was on the receiving end of a blessing from him. Whether or not he was a Christian, I don't know, but I do know that he treated me in such a way as to remind me that as well as being called to be a disciple of Christ, I am also 'the least' and that God seeks to bless me through other people. 

What happened was very mundane: we needed 10 pence. It wasn't life or death, it was just that we wanted to buy a newspaper and we'd both come out without wallets so had managed to find the necessary £2 in various pushchair pockets and baskets. But, it turned out that £2 wasn't enough - we were 10 pence short and this gentleman looked on as we comically searched through the pockets of my eldest son's jacket just in case he'd squirrelled away some coins. We shared a joke with the gentleman that we might find a fortune in there and then I suggested to my husband that we'd just have to go home and get some more cash. 

At which point, the unkempt, unshaven man carrying a six-pack of lager dug deep in his pockets and asked us how much we were short, then offered me a whole fistful of change to choose from. 

It was only 10 pence, but in our society where everyone is so keen not to get involved in other peoples' problems or conversations, this incident really touched me. It made me feel guilty about the prejudices I carry around, where I feel that from a quick glance at someone, I am able to judge things about them; it made me realise that I need to be more like that man - willing to help in whatever small way I can; and it made me realise that I need to be more willing to accept the kindness of strangers - let them treat me as a brother or sister of Jesus without them expecting anything in return.

It was only 10 pence, but it was worth so much more. 

2 comments:

  1. What a lesson, I can't explain why but that made tears come to my eyes. We often forget that every single person is made in the image of God and so carries God's traits deep inside them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what community life should be like, with everybody looking out for each other and being willing to help when help is needed, without awkwardness or suspicion.
    Your articles are excellent by the way, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete