Saturday 3 September 2011

Christian Mummy - the History.

About three months ago I was sitting in church on a Sunday morning attempting to listen to the preacher (who happened to be my husband) whilst breastfeeding a newborn and balancing a toddler on my lap at the same time. Suddenly I became aware that everyone was gradually making their way to the front of church with post-it notes in hand and placing them all on a large board. 

I, meanwhile, sat there silently crying because firstly, I was unable to move anywhere, and secondly, even if I had been able to, I didn't know what everyone was responding to as I'd not heard a word of what had been said. All I could do was let the tears fall and pray quietly that God would help me to connect with Him despite the feeding, cuddling and general entertaining of my children that is required on a Sunday morning. (My husband is a curate so is always upfront during services!)

It turned out that my prayer was exactly in line with what everyone else had been responding to: thinking of ways to connect with God. In answer to my prayer, I felt (yet again) God prompting me to start this Blog as a way of exploring how being a Christian can help me be a better Mummy and how being a Mummy can teach me new things about God.

I first had the Blog idea around the time of my eldest's first birthday but being in the early stages of pregnancy, then the late stages of pregnancy, then having a newborn baby to get to know, has meant that I've been putting things off for a while!

So a whole year later (and three months after that moment in church) I finally find time to sit down at the keyboard to write! I don't feel particularly qualified to write a Blog entitled 'Christian Mummy' because there are days when I feel that I don't do either very well. But I guess the point is that I am learning all the time and this is my attempt to connect personally with God through where I am in my life at the moment. My prayer is that He might just use my feelings and experiences to speak to other Mums too. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Rachel for your honesty. This blog is a great inspiration and I think we as Mums need all the support, encouragement, sharing of advice we can get. Lots of love Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete